October 2008 Archives

Cygwin/X X server todo list

| No Comments
The thing I'd like to see working which is the reason I started looking at it in the first place

  • RANDR extension support integrated with the native Windows WM_DISPLAYCHANGE message so X knows and does the right thing when the native Windows virtual desktop changes size due to a resolution change or monitor addition/removal
Other things

  • Composite does strange things at the moment
  • More investigation of why the 'smart scheduler' causes cygwin problems: SIGALRM every 20ms causes 'sporadic accept() failed' and deadlocks in multiwindow mode. Fixed/better with Cygwin 1.7.x?
  • Fix building with multwindow with external window manager mode.  This depends on the rootless extension, which depends on Apple's Xplugin.h :D
  • Icon conversion could use a bit more work, scaling overlarge NET_WM_ICON icons down to the right size, improving icon conversion if we could find a simple way to use a bilinear filter  Some windows still have no icon found by us, although native WMs can find them.
  • Probably should change explicit use of GetTickCount() in event generation in xwin/ to use GetTimeInMillis(). This should make things consistent if we ever wanted to use the gettimeofday() clock
  • Maybe get some patches folded back into upstream

Updating the Cygwin/X X server

| No Comments
I've been spending a bit of time recently trying to get an up to date version of the Cygwin/X X server building and working (the current version in Cygwin is a R6.9 vintage monolithic X :()

Patch-set to build X.org server 1.5.2 for cygwin
Patch-set for the current X.org git

A couple of resource were very useful: The Xming server is the same server built for mingw, and some patches for the 1.4 X server

A built version is now in cygwin ports



Graphical merge for subversion

| No Comments

Being used to doing graphical merge using ClearCase , I didn't want to have to fiddle around resolving a subversion merge by opening a bunch of files. Bizarrely I couldn't find a clear description of how to set this up, perhaps because the specifics have changed between subversion versions, so for subversion 1.5:

add in ~/.subversion/config
merge-tool-cmd = svndiffwrapper

and create svndiffwraper, somewhere on your path, a shell script which contains:

#!/bin/sh
kdiff3 -m $1 $2 $3 -o $4 1>&2

Subsequent svn merge will offer you the option to (l)aunch the external program do to the merge, which will fire up kdiff3

(Obviously you can use a different tool to kdiff3, but that was the best 3-way graphical merge tool I found in a quick search)

About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from October 2008 listed from newest to oldest.

September 2008 is the previous archive.

January 2009 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.